Paphos District Archaeological Museum
Griva Digeni 43, Tel: (06) 940215.
Attractive collection of Cypriot antiquities from the
Paphos area, dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD.
A. Ioannou 3 Tel: (06) 931393
An interesting collection of objects from the Byzantine
period, including Byzantine icons from the 7th to 18th
centuries, and the oldest icon found yet ib Cyprus of th
e7th or 8th century.
Exo Vrysis 1 Tel: (06) 932010
Interesting private collection of objects from the
Neolithic Age to the present day.
Paphos Mediaeval Fort
Kato Pafos harbour
Originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the
harbour, it was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th
century, dismantled by the Venetians in 1570, and rebuilt
by the Ottomans after they captured the island in the 16th
Ayia Solomoni Church
Kato Pafos, Leoforos Agiou Pavlou
Originally a Christian catacomb retaining some of the
12th century frescoes. A sacred tree at the entrance is
believed to cure the ailments of those who hang a personal
offering on its branches.
Tombs of the Kings
Kato Paphos. Tel: (02) 940295.
Spread over a vast area, these impressive undergound
tombs date back to the 4th century BC. They are carved out
of solid rock with some being decorated with Doric pillars.
High officials rather than Kings were buried here, but the
magnificence of the tombs gave the locality its name.
The Mosaics of Paphos
House of Dionysos,
House of Theseus and House of Aion.
Kato Paphos. Tel: (06) 940217.
House of Dionysos, House of Theseus, House of Aion and
House of Orpheus.The mosaic floors of these 3rd and 5th century AD
noblemenŐs villas, are considered among the finest in
the Eastern Mediterranean. They mostly depict scenes from
A small 2nd century odeon built entirely of well-hewn
limestone blocks, it is now used in the summer for musical
and theatrical performances. Nearby are the remains of the
ancient city walls, the Roman Agora and a building
dedicated to Asklipeios, god of medicine.
Kato Pafos, near the harbour.
This castle was built by the Lusignans at the beginning
of 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine Castle.
It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.
Panayia Chrysopolitissa Church and Byzantine
Built in the 13th century, over the ruins of the
largest early Byzantine basilica on the island. Within the
compound, one can see St. Paul's Pillar, where according
to tradition Saint Paul was flogged before the Roman
Governor Sergius Paulus was converted to Christianity.
Theoskepasti means "veiled by God". According
to tradition, a fog was sent by God to protect the
original church during the Arab raids. The modern church
was built in 1923.
Yeroskipou Folk Art Museum
Yeroskipou village. Tel: (06) 940216.
The name of the village comes from the Greek phrase,
"hieros kepos", the sacred garden of Aphrodite.
Fascinating collection of folk art and crafts gathered
together in the house known as Hadjismith.
Ayia Paraskevi Church
Geroskipou village, Tel. (06) 961859
One of the most interesting and attractive Byzantine
churches on the island, dating to the 10th century. It has
a vaulted basilica surmounted by five domes forming a
cross and has wall paintings dating to the 15th century.
Sanctuary of Aphrodite
Kouklia village, 14 km east of Pafos
Tel: (06) 432180.
Palaipafos, Old Paphos, was one of the most celebrated
of pilgrimage centres of the ancient Greek world, and once
an ancient city-kingdom of Cyprus. Here stood the famous
sanctuary of Aphrodite, the most ancient remains of which
date back to the 12th century BC The glorious days of the
sanctuary lasted, till the 3rd-4th century AD The Museum,
housed in the Lusignan Manor, contains many interesting
finds from the area. Excavations continue on the site of
the sanctuary, the city and the necropolis.
Petra Tou Romiou
(Birthplace of Aphrodite) 25 km east of Pafos
According to legend, Aphrodite, goddess of love and
beauty, rose form the waves in this strikingly beautiful
spot. The Greek name, Petra tou Romiou (The Rock of the
Greek), is associated with the legendary frontierguard of
Byzantine times, Dighenis Akritas, who kept the marauding
Saracens at bay with amazing strength. It is said in one
such fight he heaved this large rock (petra) into the sea
destroying the enemy's ship.
A complex of two churches. The oldest is the northern one
which is a domed cross-in-square type building possibly of
the 12th century. Later in the 18th century a barrel-vaulted
church was added to the south. Excellent 16th century
icons survive on the iconostasis.
(Ayios Georghios Basilica and the fountains of Pegeia)
Near a fishing refuge 4 km from the village of Pegeia, are
the ruins of two early Christian basilicas with some very
interesting mosaic floors depicting animals. This site
must have been an important establishment in Early
Christian times. There are also rock-hewn tombs of the
Roman period above the sea. Peyia is famous for its
fountains in the stone paved village square.
At Lempa village excavations have brought to light an
important settlement of the Chalcolithic period. Near the
site replicas of two houses from this period have been
Ayios Neophytos Monastery
Founded at the end of the 12th century by the Cypriot
hermit and writer, Neophytos. The "Engleistra",
an enclosure, carved out of the mountain by the hermit,
contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating from
the 12th to the 15th century. In the monastery's church
there is an interesting collection of icons and remains of
16th century frescoes.
Set in beautiful surroundings, this monastery, dedicated
to Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate, was originally
founded in the 12th century but the present building dates
to 1779. The monastery has a collection of important icons
and treasures. An impressive religious ceremony and
celebrations are held on 15 August. The old winery of the
monastery produces some of the best vintage wine in Cyprus.
On the west of
Troodos, 1,5 km from Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery
The birthplace of Archbishop Makarios III, first President
of Cyprus. The house where he was born has been turned
into a museum.
37 km North of
Polis tis Chrysochou lies where once stood the ancient
city-kingdom of Marion, an important commercial centre in
Classical and Hellenistic times. Some beautiful houses,
dating to the beginning of this century, can still be seen
here. Its excellent climate and beautiful beaches and
scenery, have made the area a popular resort.
Of interest in the centre of the town is the barrel
vaulted church of Agios Andronikos which dates to the 16th
century. This was turned into a mosque during the Turkish
period, when the northern part was added to it and the
wall paintings were covered by an asbestos wash. Recently,
all the wall paintings, dating to the 16th century, have
been uncovered. Next to the church lies the 18th century
church of Agia Kyriaki.
Beautifuk beaches can be found in the surrounding region,
pictaresque villages as well as interesting churches, such
as the churches of Agia Aikaterini and Panagia Chorteni.
Baths Of Aphrodite
Akamas Peninsula, near Polis. 48 km north of Pafos
According to legend, the goddess Aphrodite used to take
her beauty baths in the pool of this natural grotto,
shaded by a fig tree. Nature trails from the Baths lead to
the Fontana Amorosa area and to other areas of Akamas.